Cob Code approved cob & Fibrous cement

Will Firstbrook WCB of BC wfirstbr at wcb.bc.ca
Fri Jun 5 12:44:31 CDT 1998

Hi Todd,

You can get more info getting the earth quarterly magazine. I just sent
off a cheque to them this morning. Yes it can be used for structural
support as it is quite strong The following is a quote from Allen:

I'll address your load bearing question here with a quote from "Earth
Quarterly" magazine.

"Fibrous cement has a compressive strength of 260 psi, without sand in
the mix.  Adding sand triples the compressive strength.  An 8 foot high
one-foot-thick wall of fibrous cement has a load bearing strength of 15
tons per running foot, yet weighs only 120 pounds per running foot!  An
elaborate foundation is not necessary, because the weight of a wall
amounts to only one pound per square inch!"

Regarding the weight, there is a photo  in "Earth Quarterly "of a
slender size male adult holding an adobe sized block of fibrous cement
at extended arms length in one hand over his head. He does not appear to
be under any stress. The photo caption says it "weighs approximately 15
pounds and contains 10 cents worth of cement."  The block appears to be
about 3" thick x 30" long x 12 to 16" wide.   Holding a conventional
adobe block this size over your head in this manner would be quite a
feat.

Allen Gooch

In another letter Allen indicated that its insulation properties are
great as it is estimated to have 80% air space in the mix when the water
evaporates from the mix.

Regarding your other e-mail about code approved, visitors and workshops.
I have no idea, perhaps the magazine article or the book would answer
these questions.

Regards,
Will