Cob slideshow

andy gladish gladish at cnw.net
Tue Jun 9 10:07:51 CDT 1998

Hi, Robert,
We might be interested in having you do a presentation on your way from
Seattle to Vancouver.
I live on a small island where there is a lot of interest in what you do. I
would need to check the schedule at the Community hall or arrange a
suitable living room.
Do you charge admission or have a minimum number of attendees?
Andy Gladish
Guemes Is., WA
between Seattle and Vancouver

----------
> From: Robert Bolman <robtb at efn.org>
> To: coblist at deatech.com
> Subject: Cob slideshow
> Date: Monday, June 08, 1998 10:43 PM
>
>  To begin with, I now have a web site:   www.efn.org/~robtb/
> The northwest tour of my slide presentation entitled Natural Building and
> Social Justice is fast approaching.
> The following tour schedule is falling into place:
> Salem:  Wednesday, June 17, on a Cob workshop (contact me if you'd like
> attend)
> Portland:  Thursday, June 18, Environmental Building Supplies 1331 NW
> Kearney St, Portland, OR 97207 7:00 pm, 503-222-3881
> Oakville:  Saturday, June 20, Permaculture West Event, call 360-273-7117
> Olympia:  Monday, June 22, Washington State Department of General
> Administration Building Auditorium, 11th Ave & Columbia Street, (north
end
> of the state capitol campus) Olympia, WA
>
> Seattle:  Wednesday, June 24, 6:30, Fremont Public Library, 731 N 35th
(east
> of Still Life Café)
>
> Vancouver:  June 27, Saturday, Granville Information Centre, Granville
> Island,      Vancouver, BC, 10:00 am – 12:00 noon.
> Anyone wishing to host a presentation (even in a moderately full living
> room) is encouraged to contact me.  Just set it up for a date that's not
> filled above.    Plan on feeding me and putting me up for the night.
> Contacts for environmental groups that would potentially host me anywhere
in
> the country would be appreciated.
>
> My slide presentation takes about 75 minutes.  I use two projectors
placing
> images on side by side screens thereby enabling me to compare and
juxtapose
> images and ideas.  This also enables me to “leapfrog” through about 300
> slides (hopefully) without putting people to sleep.
> I begin by poking fun at the oversized, overpriced, environmentally
clueless
> houses that have become so common in recent years.  I waste no time in
> revealing my political agenda.  I point out that while every effort is
made
> to see to it that those that can afford an expensive house have a variety
> chose from, those that are less fortunate (or less functional) are
allowed
> to sleep on the streets of this very wealthy country (the United States).
> I then point to an alternative.  I show many examples of Natural
Building.
> Most notably, I focus on the highly innovative straw bale and earth
> structure I’m presently building in Eugene, Oregon.  From straw bale to
cob
> & adobe to the earthship concept, I try to show a broad overview
including
> passive solar design, solar hot water, PV, gray water, catch water and
> permaculture.  I also explore the rich historical precedent for this type
of
> building with a few examples of Natural Building from around the world.
> I then begin talking with hard numbers about the poor distribution of the
> world’s wealth.  While 90 % of my presentation focuses on Natural
Building,