Cob Codes

Mike Carter cobcrew at sprynet.com
Wed Jun 10 23:18:33 CDT 1998

Steve Berlant writes:
"There is some code phobia regarding cob.  As an attorney and a natural building educator, I would like to dispel it."
    Steve, please let us know when you have completed your first building-department approved Cob building.

    "I'd first like to respond to these statements by saying that I feel that it is very exciting that cob is recognized as a legitimate building system in at least 3 building codes in the United States."
    This is a bit misleading - how do you prove that "puddled adobe" = Cob in the minds of the inspectors?  Probably 90% of whom country-wide don't even have first-hand knowledge of adobe?  Then confuse the issue further by introducing your own terminology ("monolithic adobe").

    "The 3 adobe/cob codes are more like performance based codes and do not specify exactly how one is to build with cob other than the usual wall height to thickness formulas, use of lintels, buttressing and other basics of adobe construction.  Do not forget that cob is adobe.  It is just one big piece of adobe ( and a lot more fun to work with too!)  "
    I will take issue with the statement that Cob is adobe.  Although similar, the percentage of straw in "Oregon Cob" is generally higher than a typical adobe mix.  Our engineering tests showed that the addition of lots of straw greatly decreased the compressive strength of the mix - to around 180-200 p.s.i. maximum at our site compared to 300+ p.s.i. for adobe.  Tensile strength should be increased by the straw, however (not tested).

    "It makes sense to test the materials to make sure that they can hold the weight of the structure's walls and roof.  "
    The engineering tests are just the start if you want to do this right.
    "We do not need any cob buildings falling down and hurting anyone.  That would be the end of cob construction in permitted areas in this country.  "
    Well, according to some, it has already happened (about 15 years ago in Northern CA) - see New Settler.  Concrete, brick, wood frame, steel buildings fail often under different circumstances and they are still avidly used.  What logic have you used to deduce that Cob would be different?  Has Cob construction begun in permitted areas in this country?

    Mike Carter
    cobcrew at sprynet.com
    Austin, TX    USA