Cob Codes & electric wiring

Patrick Newberry goshawk at gnat.net
Fri Jun 12 07:07:38 CDT 1998

 I went and picked up my electric serice entrance box today and when
reading the specs included with the box realized that I would need to
call the county to have the wiring inspected.

Fear struck.

I have, up the this point had to deal with any government offical.
Would the suddenly force me to stop?
Would the heavens open up and swallow me up?

I took the first step,
I called to ask what are the requirements for wiring here in Taylor
county.  I called the first number and was given another number.

I called the second number and got "the inspector"

Hi, I'm buiding an earthen home here in Mauk and I was wondering what
your requirement were?"

THe inspector replies Pat?

yes...I wonder how does this fellow know my name?

Yes this is Pat, (still quite puzzled)

This is Tommy from the hardware store.

Tommy? when did you start working for the county?
about two months ago.

pretty soon my good ole buddy told me I need to have a cut switch off
from the service entrance to the box that matched the amps of the
service and located on the outside and that the wire had to be in
conduit.

I told him I was going to put some of it underground and he said it
was ok as long as it was rated for underground (no conduit in that
case)

So Looks like so far so good.

They didn't have any written standards, just told me to follow the
normal national standards (what ever they are)

Pat
http://www.gnat/net/~goshawk