Cob Hemp in cob

crtaylor tms at northcoast.com
Sun Jun 21 09:38:04 CDT 1998

>You spoke about other vegetable fibers used in cob - Can you elaborate -
>which vegetable fibres and in what form were they used?

I would have to do a bit of research to learn more.  But I do know any
local materials which could be dried/woven/chopped was likely to be
included or at least tested by people building.  the hardest part is
learning WHAT mixes were used, as when demolition occurs no one is tending
to historical study. The research centers are tyring to be out and testing
sites.

I do know that even though a great amount of seaweed was available on
coastal Scotland, it was rarely used for thatch, maybe not for cob either.
But Scotch Broom/gorse/furze was used extensively for thatching and
wattlework.

******

Note: for those who wanted a book list via email it was SENT...I will be
off on a trip for a week and can't respond to ANY requests until July 1.

thanks for understanding..getting away from computers for a few days to
write about ancient earth is good thing!

Charmaine R. Taylor
Elk River Press & Taylor Publishing
PO Box 6985 Eureka CA 95502  1-888-307-7650
'Books for people who want to build it themselves'
http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/elkriver.html