Cob hemp in cob

Chuck Learned clearned at bminet.com
Fri Jun 26 09:10:06 CDT 1998

Announcing the kickoff of a new regional learning group. I have been
growing wearing of flying to
distant states with different climates to learn how to build these
wonderful homes. So I have
embraced an American Icon "Get Organized". If you can travel once a month
to the wonderful
city of Madison WI you can attend our monthly meetings. We will also be
setting up work
bees. Since our first meeting is this Sunday, things are pretty loose,
informal etc. One of
the things we would like to see happen as well is develop a good pool of
skilled professionals
who enjoy working with owner builders, so if you are one of those folks and
Wisconsin sounds
doable give me a call.

Here's the official blurb.......

 You are invited to the first Natural Building Learning Group mtg.

 You have received this as you at sometime must have expressed an interest
in alternative building.  A new group is forming for people interested in
learning together and supporting each other in building ecologically sound
natural homes. At this point the group will meet once a month to share
knowledge, enthusiasm, plans, dreams and collective knowledge or ignorance!

The intent is to focus on Natural Building methods as they can provide
answers to difficult environmental challenges and they are wonderful to
live in. Home construction styles such as:
	Strawbale Homes*Earthen Homes(Cob & Underground or bermed)
	Cordwood Homes
will be the learning material as well as support systems such as water,
sewage, energy etc.

The unique potential in these homes lies in the potential for low cost
construction
due to owner labor and the potential availability for building materials
directly available
from the land. These type of homes also lend themselves accessible for
inexperienced
owner builders and community style work bees. Taking the step to actually
building your own home can be intimidating, confusing and lonely.
Potential exists to:
	*Bring in guest speakers *Arrange tours of existing homes
	*Have ongoing Email discussions*Assist each other with building efforts at
strategic     	 	  moments*Work to collectively educate ourselves and
professionals(Building Inspectors
	  and trade professionals who may be assisting our efforts)
	* Sponsor hands on learning workshops *Share building materials and tools
	*Keep our sanity, marriages, families and friends intact(grinning).
	*Serve as a connecting point for trade building professionals sympathetic
to Natural 	*Building and owner builders. *Your ideas................
You do not need to be an owner builder to be involved you just need to be
interested.
Our first meeting is on June 28th (Sunday) from 3:30 -6pm.  in Madison
(directions below)
We will be showing a terrific video called Build your own Elegant Straw
Bale Home.
A wonderful person Linda has offered up her big living room,  give us an
RSVP even if its last minute. Contact: Chuck Learned 608 423-3031 or
clearned at bminet.com
Directions:
Ridge Road is 10 blocks South of University Ave off of Franklin Avenue.
Note that there is also a Ridge Street in the same neighborhood, but these
streets do not join.
>From downtown Madison:
Go west on University Avenue through the stoplight at Farley and
University. (University Hospital is to the right and Sunporch and Goodwill
are to the left).  Turn left on Franklin Avenue (this is a T-intersection).
 U-pump
gas station is on the South west corner of Franklin and University.  Stay
on Franklin for 10 blocks until reach top of hill - cemetery will be on the
left, turn right on Ridge Rd. to 2811.

>From the west Beltline:
Midvale Blvd exit - north to right on Mineral Point. After about 6 blocks
turn left on  Franklin Ave.  Golf course is on the right.  Franklin ave is
between the Stop and Go and the funeral home.  Proceede on Franklin
for about 4 blocks to top of hill - left on Ridge Rd to 2811.
If you are lost call 608 233-7500