Cob New User and Fibrous Cement recipe

Chuck Knight cknight at flash.net
Mon Jun 29 18:07:08 CDT 1998

First off, I'd like to introduce myself.  My name is Chuck Knight, and
I have an interest in earth building and "alternative" technologies.
While going through the archives for this list, I found a few
interesting ideas...some which shifted my thinking towards a diferent
approach to my projects.

I noticed in the archives, a number of messages concerning a mixture
called "Fibrous Cement" which is made from paper, earth, and cement.

This sounds interesting for some projects I have in mind...does anyone
have a specific recipe, and specific instructions?  For example, I
know the "recipe" of 60% paper slurry, 30% earth, and 10% cement.  But,
should the paper be completely pulped, or simply shredded?  Should it
be 60% volume, as dry paper...or 60% volume, after mixing with water
and pulping?  You see the kinds of specific questions I'm asking.

Also, even a fibrous cement building is going to need a foundation.  Cob
sounds promising...how does one *make* the cob mixture?  I never did
find a specific recipe.

Thank you all ahead of time.

     -- Chuck Knight