Cob Re: Wood

J. Fliss fliss at cswnet.com
Sun Jul 19 21:59:36 CDT 1998

Speireag Alden wrote:

> Howdy, all!
>
>     I will be using local timber, cut on my property, for our house.  I may
> be able to use some which are already down.
>
>     I hear bug-killed vigas mentioned sometimes.  I also hear about
> pine-borers and such.  Around here, the bugs will pretty reliably get into
> the wood if you let it sit for a year (unless it's stored inside somewhere).
>
>     How can you safely use such wood?  How do you get rid of pine-borers?
> Do carpenter ants vacate after the wood is dry, or once they're started
> into green wood, are they ensconced and must be poisoned out (or boraxed).

	In generalized terms...most of the critters live in or under the bark
and prefer moist wood. If you want to use your own cut logs you need to
strip the bark off asap. This removes their home and protection and
allows the wood to dry making it less palatable. Especially in pine or
cedar.  Also removing the bark lets the wood dry out and slow the
rotting process.Storing logs with the bark on holds moisture in and in a
few years your logs could be worthless. Kiln drying, even like a hot
unused green house, kills or drives off most borers due to very low
moisture content. Jim