Cob Guide wire

Jeanne Leimkuhler jleimkuh at interart.com
Wed Jul 22 09:17:22 CDT 1998

Thanks everyone for the responses to my Limestone dust question. Looks like
we will take advantage of that resource.
I just wanted to pass along a great salvage tip that we picked up at the
Timber frame workshop at Moonshadow in Tennessee last week, which was
excellent, by the way.
Johnny Kimmons was using left over pieces of guide wire from the phone
company in the mortar and stone wall. This is the galvanized wire that is
about ten strands twisted together. It is used to stabilize telephone
poles. You can run it through your rock wall and loop it back when you get
to a door way. Then use this loop to help anchor your door frame to the
plinth. We are building a small curvy building right now and will use it
instead of rebar in the concrete cap on our rubble trench. It is flexible
so it will fit the curves much better than rebar. And it's FREE!
I have been to visit our local phone co. repair office and the manager
agreed to set it aside for me to pick up. If it doesn't have copper in it,
they don't bother recycling.
Jeanne

Jeanne Leimkuhler
Senior Designer