Cob RE: spans of thin shell concrete slabs + eucalyptus ++

Bj örn Brandberg b.brandberg at mail.com
Wed Aug 5 13:44:21 CDT 1998

Just for anybody´s interest.
The pantheon dome in Rome was built in non reinforced concrete 1300 years ago and is still standing. It has a span of 44 m (144 ft).
     At the other end of the technology of domes: We have  built some two hundred thousand dome shaped latrines slabs in Mozambique with non reinforced concrete. Thickness around 4 cm. Test load 6 people. Mix 1+2+4 volumes of cement sand and 12 mm crushed stone. Local variation in aggregate quality may as for some testing. We cast them  on top of a heap of sand with a peripheral mould of sheet metal. We found non reinforced slabs to perform better than slabs reinforced, probably due to better compaction. A ring reinforcement of the periphery was abandoned as the slabs were strong enough without it but is used in areas with aggregate problems.
The method i spreading over Africa more or less spontaneously through various organizations.
Bjorn Brandberg

PS
Does anybody have any experience or contacts lists or web-sites for
1.   how to build wooden houses with eucalyptus
2.   low cost environment friendly treatment against flying wood eating insects
3.   low cost environment friendly termite protection
4.   suitable chemicals for dip treatment of wood indoors and out doors.

Patrick Newberry wrote 30/7/98 10:04