Cob OT: something we all can enjoy!

Magg magg at fastrans.net
Wed Aug 12 11:48:50 CDT 1998

Perseid Meteor Shower - August 1998

The Perseid Meteor Shower will be hopefully putting on fine display for us
again this August. This much anticipated meteor shower should reach its
peak on the nights of August 11 and 12, continuing into the early morning
of the 13th.  Unfortunately, the conditions for viewing this year's shower
are rather poor, since the waning gibbeous Moon may hide all but the
brightest meteors. However, the Perseids could still be a good show.

The Meteors radiate from the constellation Perseus rising in the northeast
before midnight.  Glittering debris from the long gone Comet Swift-Tuttle,
these colorful Perseids often leave long tubular trails that last several
seconds as they zip into our atmosphere at supersonic speed. During the
year Earth orbits through several old comet trails that produce the
"celestial fireworks".  That is a very long and demanding observing
session. To help you survive the night, you should bring the following
items with you: a reclining lawn chair or adjustable camp cot, a sleeping
bag, warm clothing including a hat and gloves,  munchies (muffins, stale
chocolate bars, etc.) and bug spray.  Pizza has always been our munchie of
choice.

As a child, my Mum would wake me up to watch these showers... I still love
them!

love and light,

magg burnes
magg at fastrans.net

                  I am not going to question your opinions.  I am not going to meddle with your belief.
                       I am not going to dictate to you mine.  All that I say is, examine, inquire.
                         Look into the nature of things.  Search out the grounds of your opinions,
                      the for and the against.  Know why you believe, understand what you believe,
                                         and possess a reason for the faith that is in you.
                                  ~ Frances Wright, September 6, 1795 - December 13, 1852