Cob a cob code mission for all cobbers day

Jeffrey Kirsch jkirsch at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 13 08:10:21 CDT 1998

I agree. This is the only part of cob that makes me uncomfortable. There are
a lot of cob structures out there in the world, and some are unfazed
by seismic activity, while others kill their occupants. Heck, if you
don't know what you are doing, your house might just kill you
anyway, just to remind others that you can't ignore physics.

There is a book by David Easton, "The Rammed Earth House". It
doesn't address cob per se, but he discuss materials pretty well,
and one thing I've learned is the design is only part of the picture.
The makeup of the earth is a major design/structural factor. He
builds rammed earth houses in zone 4 earthquake areas, and he
builds the structures and tests the materials to keep the inspectors
happy, and the occupants intact.

So it probably is possible to build a cob house to these same
levels, but it will be dumb luck if we are just throwing these
structures together. To John's point, we need to test our materials
and get to really know what we are working with. And this will be
different from site to site. We also need to learn from other earth
builders. I for one would love to build a flowing cob structure (Antoni
Gaudi is my role model, design-wise), but I want it to last at least a
few hundred years (my ego at work). So how do we do this?

Jeffrey Kirsch
-Plotting an escape from Atlanta

From:           	<Otherfish at aol.com>

- one of the biggest stumbling blocks that I see for cob