Cob codes & Locations

douglas scheffer dscheffer at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 14 01:49:40 CDT 1998

I've been seeing several posts from people wanting to build cob here in the
Northwest. This surprises me because every time I have a discussion with a
contractor, they tell me it's great in the Southwest but "that stuff will
just melt like butter up here in all this rain, not to mention the mold."

I am digging for some truth. I "hear" there is a woman on Whidbey Island
that is getting her home approved. Does anyone know who she is or if there
are any other existing cob homes here in the rainy section of the NW, If so
I'd love to get in touch with these cobbers and see what their advice is
for building here.

I know that Becky Bee has Groundworks in Oregon and the last e.mail from
Deanna Simpson wanting to build on Vancouver Island.

If the Northwest is not a great place to do this, is there a list of
states, counties, towns or provinces that have approved cob building. I am
not limiting my self just to the Northwest, If it's easier to build
elsewhere I'll consider it.

I don't really want to spend years barking up the wrong tree. I would
really like to build my home in a region that has experience dealing with
us cobbers (looking for strength in numbers I guess.) I don't know what any
successful cobbers have experienced getting their homes approved but I sure
could use to hear a few stories from veterans.

Thanks,
Douglas

"...with every true friendship we build more firmly the foundations on
which the peace of the whole world rests. Thought by thought and act by
act, with every breath we build the kingdom of non- violence that is the
true home of the spirit of humanity."
				--M.K. Gandhi