Cob "A Pattern Language"

andy gladish gladish at cnw.com
Tue Aug 18 01:17:36 CDT 1998

Paul Valerio wrote:

>  Some places just aren't very hospitable, and
> > this book will tell you why. And for the really ambitious, it has
> > design guidelines for communities and subcultures
>
>   I think the biggest source of
> frustration for me on my cob quest is "community".

Ahem...hope you don't mind if I chime in here.I live in a small town. It's
got a large percentage of "resorters," most of whom show no interest in being
part of whatever is going on, community-wise. The rest of us could be sorted
into two categories: Those who keep to themselves (not that many, really) and
those who are involved in volunteer work. Now, I don't mean just belonging to
the Kiwanis- growing a garden and giving away some of the produce also
qualifies, as does picking up trash by your section of road or cooking for a
neighbor with a new baby.
Those of us who chose to stay aren't here because it's really beautiful,
though we love that part of it. We're here because at some time in the not so
distant past we wanted to live close to certain other people, usually
relatives.
SO, the beginning of community is the desire of one family to be close to
another. Simple.
What happens after that is that we get together to do what needs to be done.
If  there's a storm, we check on each other. If there's a wedding, we all
dance and bring our good wishes.
I see that "community building" happens spontaneously, without anyone trying
to guide it. In fact, trying to guide it is an excercise in futility-
communities have their own needs, and what we really need to do is love and
respond to the communities we live in. We're already there for the best of
reasons: to be with people with whom we already have some sense of history
and continuity.
I really have a hard time with people who come here with ideas of "how it
could be." "How it is" is a marvel already! The good ones soon get out of
their imagination because they're too busy taking care of business.
If you lack a sense of community, my advice is to join the local volunteer
fire department. It's going to be one big, happy, disfunctional family, and
you'll be 'doing it' instead of 'imagining it.'
It's really great that you're looking, Paul. People are doing the same thing
all around you. Most of us want the same thing. Why not become a part of an
existing community and learn from families that have been doing the same
thing for generations?
Thanks for your ears,
Andy G.