Cob "A Pattern Language"

Jeffrey Kirsch jkirsch at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 18 07:53:04 CDT 1998

Hmm, where to start?

First, I am still reading the book, and expect to be for some time.
This is book two of a trilogy, and this book alone is 1171 pages,
none of it "fluff". This book could support a mailing list by itself.

That said, the authors say "Individuals have no effective voice in
any community of more than 5,000 - 10,000 persons". Living in
Atlanta, I can relate to that! This is spelled out in detail.
They also go on to explain the relationships of neighboring
communities, large urban areas, and "the countryside".

There is a lot in this book, and since it isn't cob related, per se, I'll
leave it at that. Do try and find this book.

I've entertained getting 50 acres or so, and not worrying about
neighbors, but I realized that would be the worst thing I could do to
myself. No telling what kind of person I'd be with little social
contact. Scary thought!

A cob community certainly is intriguing to me, not because of the
similar style of buildings, but because we are all pretty independent
thinkers, or we wouldn't be on this list. Could be an interesting
assembly of citizens. Believe me, I'm not looking for utopia, I think
this collection could get quite explosive at times. But I'd rather have
that than the bland complacency I encounter now in my life. Land
of the living dead would be an apt description.

Enough rambling!

-Jeffrey

Date sent:      	Mon, 17 Aug 1998 17:24:28 -0500
From:           	Paul Valerio <valeri at io.com>