Cob "A Pattern Language"

Jeffrey Kirsch jkirsch at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 18 08:09:47 CDT 1998

Douglas,

Thanks for the reading tip!
No, "A Pattern Language" is not difficult at all to read. Its not really
a front-to-back book either. You can attack it in a very non-linear
fashion. They have each section referenced to other relevant
sections, so that method is encouraged.
The book is for city planners as well as individuals that are planning
to build their own homes. It is heavy in photos and drawings to
illustrate their points, and though it is big at 1000+ pages, it isn't a
an albatross.
Each section is called a pattern. Pattern 197 is "Thick Walls" .
You'll like this: "Houses with smooth hard walls made of
prefabricated panels, concrete, gypsum, steel, aluminum, or glass
always stay impersonal and dead.".
They go on for several pages explaining what they mean and what
to do about this.
Other patterns are 190. Ceiling height variety, 193. Half open wall,
204. Secret place. There are 253 patterns in this book, so there is
a lot to think about and discuss.

-Jeffrey

Date sent:      	Tue, 18 Aug 1998 01:02:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:           	douglas scheffer <dscheffer at earthlink.net>