Cob a cob code mission for all cobbers day

Jeffrey Kirsch jkirsch at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 18 09:03:56 CDT 1998

Well put. But my original assertion was not based on rigorous logic, so
I could not defend it rigorously. As far as science. I am a big fan :-),
but I am not a disciple. That is, I do not take scientific findings on
blind faith. Too often, what is paraded out as science is something
of the quality of my original statement.
I also do not believe that science necessarily improves life. It
seems that a lot of science is designed to help us (humans) to live
longer or "better" at the peril of the rest of the planet.  Dams come
to mind, and there are lots more to pick from. So I guess we can
break it down to good science and bad science. But how do we
decide which is which? Of course any science focusing on
preservation of the planet (or minimizing our destruction of it) is
good to me, but maybe not so good from a developers viewpoint, or
shareholders of a paper company.
Its confusing, and there really aren't any villains. I buy gasoline and
paper, so I can't with any integrity bash oil companies, paper
companies, or any other industry I don't personally agree with.
Well, maybe I'm the villain.

Another book recommendation: "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn.

But this is getting pretty off topic. Back to cob. Yes, we need to
use a healthy dose of science here. I like to know what I'm working
with, and what it won't do as well as what it will. Right now that info
is mostly anecdotal, which ain't science. We need to find a
financial backer for otherfish so we can get the cob science rolling.

-Jeffrey