valeri at io.com Re: Cob "A Pattern Language"

Roberto Verzola rverzola at phil.gn.apc.org
Tue Aug 18 22:02:47 CDT 1998

 >Jeffrey,  could you very briefly describe what the book says about why
 >some places aren't very hospitable?  I think the biggest source of

Hi Paul. I also have a copy of the book "A Pattern Language" by
Alexander et al. I think no home-builder should be without one,
whether you're using cob or mainstream building materials/techniques.

The authors condensed building wisdom into some 253 "rules" or
"guidelines", which are very practical and yet very philosophical too.
They say these are the basic elements of a "language" for building a
home or a community. Examples:

- do not build more than 4 floors because tall buildings make people
  crazy (literally)
- a building complex should have a main building, with a central
  position and a higher roof
- arrange buildings to form pedestrian streets
- build on those parts of the land in the worst (not the best)
  condition
- outdoors should face south
- building should use natural illumination
- connected buildings with existing ones
- half-hidden garden
- the entrance should be marked with a clear transition
- courtyards should connect to paths and entrances
- the roof should not only cover but surround a building
- make parts of almost every roof usable as roof gardens
- a public square should be surrounded with pockets of activity
- a public square should have something roughly in the middle
- layout rooms so that the most private domains are farthest from
  the entrance
- design for indoor sunlight
- create a common area
- treat the staircase as a common space (like a room or a courtyard)
- windows to the best views should be place at places of transition
- make the couple's room a distinctly separate realm
- sleep to the east
- a farmhouse kitchen (near the center of the commons)

They formulated rules for communities, building complexes, buildings,
homes and down to rooms, as well as construction techniques.

If anybody wants the entire 253 rules, please ask me by email.

Roberto Verzola