Cob a cob code mission for all cobbers da

Otherfish at aol.com Otherfish at aol.com
Tue Aug 18 10:23:23 CDT 1998

<<>Please site to me what cob structure fell and killed its occupants. I know
of
>adobe and rammed earth that have failed but not cob ... yet. ~~howard

I am aware of only 1 cob fatality but do not know the details. A few years
ago a cob builder was killed when the dome he was attempting to construct
collapsed on him.

in reference to the above exchange - the unfortunate deceased of whom you
speak is/was Ken Kern , the author, & we all suffer from his loss - his earth
dome house (cob of some form) became saturated in a storm & collapsed on him -
a tragic loss.

a reason that no other souls have been lost ( is that the right term?) to
failing cob in N. America is because it's so new - cob has only been being
built here a short time
I'm not saying its going to happen & I'm not saying that cob is inherently
unsafe - whatI am saying is that until there is evidence - real and consistent
and well proven evidence - that cob can be built to specific limits AND be
safe for the buildings occupanta - we as cob builders have a moral
responsibility to be a bit conservative in how we build - to do less is
irresponsible

cob on
john fordice
TCCP