Cob Fibro Cement- !!Wood CHips Ahoy!!

robert at our-town.com robert at our-town.com
Tue Sep 15 18:04:34 CDT 1998

A note regarding rice hulls.  While I have not done any cob it did occur to me to test them.  Rice hulls are very high in silica and *extremely* decay resistant.  Rice hulls are a functionally inert organic matter, even in decay promoting environments such as when used as a soil ammendment (drainage - golf courses), or when in a composting process.  Also rice hulls hold very little moisture and dont seem to shrink/swell.  Because this material is light and bulky it can be shipped in walking floor semi-trailers (60 cu yd capacity approx.) which can cut per unit volume transportation expense significantly.

If anyone does test them I also am interested in the results.

Best wishes -Robert Melvin
> Has anybody tried rice hulls? Rice hulls are small (short) and fibrous,
> and can be easily mixed in a standard concrete mixer.
>
> Juan C. Bobeda

<snip>