Cob in Snow

PEACE! peace at source.net
Wed Sep 16 11:23:28 CDT 1998

>You're going to settle in an area which is potentially
>harsher than mine.
>
>    We have harsh winters up here, though we're not at all far above sea
>level.  We get lots of snow most years, and I have seen overnight
>temperatures below negative forty.  I have lived and camped in the high
>Sierra, and I know that you will get lots more snow than we do here (though
>drier), and probably experience lower temperatures, depending on where you
>end up.

Actually, not where we live, or are going to live.  We live in the Tahoe
basin, on the southern side, and that very rarely gets below 0.

As to where we are looking to build, it gets /more/ snow, and /colder/, but
not terribly much.  -10 is about as cold as they get, and that isn't overly
usual either.

Tahoe doesn't get all that much snow, not by many standards, but the other
does.  It sounds like I'd have to agree and cob might not be the best
choice.  Very sad, we were so into the curved walls, nooks, etc.  We really
enjoyed the /feel/ of cob.

>    There are plenty of ways to build in your climate, but I think that if
>you rely only on cob you'll be disappointed, and cold.

I'm not a real fan of cold while in my house. *Grin*

>    My personal choice, which may not be best for you, was to build a straw
>bale house.

I know absolutely nothing about straw.  It always worried me, but only
because I'm unimformed I'm sure.  See, I have horses, and see how straw can
decay and can't picture putting something that decays so quickly into
something that I hope will stand through several generations, let alone my
own lifetime.  Am I wrong?

>Small
>footprint for ease of building and heating.

What does "small footprint" mean?  Sorry to sound clueless.

>Take a close look at going
>underground, which would be very effective in your area.

Oh, I don't know about this.  I'm a HUGE fan of windows.. BIG BIG fan.  I'd
not do real well in a house without windows, or at least not very many.  I
know that isn't very condusive to keeping well insulated, but windows were
the one thing we were more then willing to spend on, and go over board
with, as in purchasing those double pane insulated windows.  I lived in a
wood house in Tahoe that had those old single paned windows and they let if
far too much cold air.

>    I'd also look seriously at a masonry stove, which is another
>application of the thermal mass idea.

Thank you for this suggestion, and we'll look into it.  I wanted something
like this, but wasn't sure what it would be yet.  Thanks.

>    I hope that this helps.  Good luck.

It helped very much.  Thank you!

>Usually found somewhere in the wilds of New Hampshire.

New Hampshire has wilds?  *Grin* *Duck!*  Just kidding..

Angel