Cob in Snow

HandyM2 at aol.com HandyM2 at aol.com
Wed Sep 16 15:07:56 CDT 1998

Hello Angel, Thanks for the comment, I DID see those examples but my question
must have been poorly phrased.  Your reply and my expanded query follows <G>.

<< >Question about Cob, pardon my ignorance as I have not hands on experence
with
 >cob <G>  Yet...   I have never seen cob buildings over 1 story tall with
 >perhaps a tall attic.

 On the Cob Cottage gallery page, there are three buildings that are two
 stories.  They are the older houses they use as a strong example.

Yes, I have seen these on the website but cannot find out if they are Cob only
or Cob Infill on a TimberFrame structure.  A lot of older houses were built on
Timber Frame.

Not that is bad but I like to know if Cob can stand up two plus stories with
out rather expensive supporting structure.  Cob is advertised as a labor
intensive, inexpensive building system.

When I visited England and Wales I stayed in several B&B's that were Cob or
simular structures.  IIRC the Cob buildings were rather cold or had been
retrofitted with StickBuilt interior walls and insulation.  Thermal mass is
nice when the 24 hour temperature cycle is averaged out to be confortable.  If
the 24 hour cycle is less than confortable (hot or cold no matter <G>) then
thermal mass is not so useful.

I LIKE to keep Thermal Mass with in my (Very Well) insulated walls to assist
the buffering of the daily cycle.  I have built or assisted in building Tromb
Walls, Insulated Concrete Floors for passive solar gain. as well as
Aquaculture tanks that were used as solar batterys.

BTW I am curious about Earth Floors...  Can you put them over foamboard
insulation like a poured concrete floor?  Would be real useful as a passive
solar floor thusly.

 Have a good one!

Thank you, I have so far today!  >VBWildG<

I hope you and yours are blessed with good health and spirits today!

Michael