Cob RE: cob codes

Patrick Newberry goshawk at gnat.net
Thu Sep 17 19:10:11 CDT 1998

They are in the process of adopting building code here in Taylor county
(GA) Currently we have none.
Since I already have a permit, I've written to the county committie whom
will be working on the codes. I've expresed the ideas of alternative
building and the idea of the owner builder, both of which are often the
last consideration when it comes to building codes.

I was a little nervous because I  kept wondering if it would be better to
keep a low profile. I decieded against it as I figure it will affect me
sometime, and now before it becomes law is the time to fight.

I plan on going to the county meeting and requesting to speak on these
issues. We will see.

Pat.
http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk

> From:          "Bob Bolles" <bbolles at cts.com>
> To:            <coblist at deatech.com>
> Subject:       Re: Re: Cob RE: cob codes
> Date:          Thu, 17 Sep 1998 13:09:42 -0700

> Hola
>
> > As I understand it from David Eisenburg, there is considerable reason to
> > worry. Certain U.S. officials are in the process of writing "The
> International
> > Building Code." He says they intend to enforce it everywhere. I can't
> imagine
> > it being successful at anything but making things more difficult.
> ~~howard
>
> The current effort is to consolidate the 4 building codes in the US into
> one.
> Albeit 25-35% (or somewhere in there) of the homes/structures in the world
> are made of earth and fibers. At this point there is less than 2 pages in
> the proposed new code devoted to these materials.
>
> David is fighting to get the code officials to understand that NONE of the
> conventional building materials (wood, steel, aluminum, cement, glass, &
> plastic) are sustainable.
>
> Our code system is geared to these non-sustainable materials and the ways
> that they are assembled.
>
> We face a huge challange
>
> Bob

"There is No Hope, but I may be wrong."