Cob cob codes

John Hall hallsoi at netvigator.com
Sat Sep 19 22:44:35 CDT 1998

Otherfish at aol.com wrote:

> Andy G
> In a message dated 9/17/98 10:42:21 PM, you wrote:
>
> <<Oh, good!Maybe "they" don't plan on regulating these types of structures!
> .In my neighborhood, only the extremely eccentric would consider a "dirt"
> building as a home, so does that mean my house won't be considered a residence
> by the building department?
> If and when they look it over maybe all I have to do is say, "Hah! That? A
> house? Who would live in a pile of dirt and straw?!?"
> Maybe it's better that way....>>
>
> would that it were so
> -building officials are a generally unhumorous lot
> -they have no plans to ignore anything built in their territiory
> -the operative word here is "building"
> -dirt / earth / or otherwise
> -being eccentric is great
> -however
> -why should anyone be required to be considered "odd" to build with earth?
> -that is not "better"
> -the freedom to build with earth is what is needed
>
> -the way to accomplish this is to include cob into the building code
> -anything less will keep it "odd" & marginalized
> -in a position of reinventing the wheel each time it is built
> -subject to the whim of the building official
> -this is not/would not be better !!
>
> a realistic cob code needs to be written
> one that allows freedom to build with local materials
> either "straight" or "odd"
> anything less is (not unfortunately) more in this case
>
> this can be done
> it only requires the will do do so
> to take control of the situation
> the forces involved are real
> it does no good to ignore them
>
> courage
> cob on
> john fordice
> TCCP
> otherfish at aol.com

Hi, I'm John originally from Devon, now in Hong Kong.

I have just joined your list and have read the last few topics with
interest.  With respect to codes, I believe the equivalent in the UK are
the Building Regulations, which are implemented by the District
Councils.  It may be of interest to know that one or two District
Councils, particularly those in cob-rich areas (such as Devon) are very
sypathetic to new-build with cob.  Indeed one such authority
(Teignbridge, Devon) have actually constructed some simple cob
buildings themselves. It would be interesting to know how they complied
with Building Regulations, and suggest that finding out might be a
sarting point for drafting your own codes.
I will try and find out more.  Any other Devon cobbers out there who
could help?

John Hall.