Cob Maintaining monolithicity (spot the made-up word?)

John Hall hallsoi at netvigator.com
Mon Sep 21 08:16:09 CDT 1998

Rog wrote:

> > I agree Michael...monolithic means ONE...a plastering of cob over the
> wood
> > is a real recipie for a mess...the wood will dry and move, and the cob
> > won't..causing cracking, etc.  Robs sawdust/lime/ cement ? recipie as
> > mortar seems to work well...  a waffle cone wall of cob with holes where
> > wood was, or is, shrinking  sound like much more than a thermal nosebleed
> > too!
>
> Why bother with an insulation in the middle at all?
> Methinks the saw-dust cob stuff I've seen is 'light' enough as it is.
>
> Cheers (as always), rog.

Sound advice Rog.

There may be "x" thousand cob dwellings still lived in, in Devonshire
alone, but for each one of these that remains, which are all SUBSTANTIAL
walled structures, there must have been thousands more that did not
stand the test of time.

Forget your experimenting with the stuff.  It is for simple mass
construction, no frills.  Do it as you can see it works, or forget it.

John.