Cob Papercrete

Bob Bolles bbolles at cts.com
Tue Sep 22 17:04:06 CDT 1998

I've been following this subject also with great interest
MJ's pictures were an eye-opener
Now I'm certanly no expert on cement, but there are some things that I
think are true:
Cement hardens as the result of a chemical reaction
with the proper proportions of cement and water
-too much or too little makes for a weak mix.
The chemical reaction occurs over a period of hours - after 3-4, it begins
to harden, and after a few hours more, it is esentially hard.
>From what I've read, the papercrete mix is allowed to drain for quite a
while - perhaps a matter of days.
I can't see how the cement can be a major factor in the mix - I would think
that it would have hardened prior to the blocks being made.
Just back from installing the exterior pinning at the AZ site
Off to Angles Camp area and the CASBA meeting at the end of the week
Bob

Sustainability International
Bob Bolles & Judy Brown - Co-Directors
Promoting Sustainable Building Through Demonstration
Visit our Sustainable Community Demonstration Project site at:
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8290/
Please reply to (619) 486-6949 (619) 748-4680 Fax - bbolles at cts.com
13446 Poway Rd. #236, Poway, CA 92064
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first,
 the lesson afterwards." -- Vernon Sanders Law