Cob Rammed Earth

John Hall hallsoi at netvigator.com
Fri Sep 25 17:39:35 CDT 1998

JBr9673764 at aol.com wrote:

> I will build a shed size building next year of an alternative building
> material (note positive affirmation!).  Am comparing cob, cord, rammed earth.
> Does anyone have a source of specs for rammed earth bricks?  How hard to
> compact it--I saw plans for a press for making dirt bricks in the archive but
> the URL was defunct.  Am looking for plans/specs so I can get my brother-in-
> law to build hydraulic dirt squisher.  Spent an hour or two in the archives
> and came close but I kept wandering down different, fascinating threads!
>
> Thanks in advance
> Jeff

Jeff,

I know that Building Research Establishment, uk, (http://www.bre.co.uk/)
developed a rammed earth press as part of a low-cost building research
project back in the 70's.  The press was a simple mechanical gizmo,
aimed at third-world countries.  It might be worth you browsing their
archives, or else sending them an e-mail.
Good luck.
John.