Cob Clay, Fibers, & FC

Will Firstbrook WCB of BC wfirstbr at wcb.bc.ca
Fri Oct 16 16:09:00 CDT 1998

Hi Ron,

The best way of finding out what clay works best in your situation is to make test bricks of varying proportions of clay sand & earth that are available at your site. For each brick, record its recipe and when dry compare its properties, such as strength, weight, cracking, does it crumble, easy to break or is it rock hard. Some clays have quite high silt content making them less suitable. Stickiness is a good indicator as the clay is basically used as a glue.

Fiber cement would probably work ok for non-load bearing interior walls. But you might also want to consider other alternatives such as clay straw which is also cheep and doesn't need custom mixing machines, or thin burlap bags filled with stabilized earth and wood chips, or other combinations. You could also use other natural recipes such as roman cement which has held up the Roman aqueducts for the past 2000 years. I have forgotten its recipe but it is light and strong. I would look towards using available natural materials that are close at hand (on your property) for the best return.

What is pine straw? Is it the smooth pine needles you are referring too?

Regards,
Will