Berkeley Cob Project

Paul & Mary Salas chansey at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 21 12:24:50 CDT 1998

Otherfish at aol.com wrote:

> - its quickly becomes very clear to anyone building with cob that some form of
> mechanized mixing is key to getting the building done with any thing
> resembeling efficiency of your personal time expenditure
> -I envision some forward looking production cobber to be inventing a cob
> machine run by some quiet form of alternative energy (electric motors powered
> by solar panels) or (a horse ?) or (a wood fired steam engine) that you can
> back up to your material source & which will extrude cob out the other end
> faster than you can build with it
> -when this happens - well - watch out.

This was my point as well when Mary was wanting to move her FC mixing
process from the kitchen blender to something that was more efficent and
could produce material in quantity.

Mixing the base material for adobes and cob is similar--the material is
heavy, labor intensive and takes a long time to dry. Newbies to this
process quickly scale back their dream when reality sets in--this
building method is going to take a long time.

I'm currently working on a machine to do just what you propose. Sorry
it's not of the alternative power type, but it is diesel and there are
alternative fuels that could be used. I've made it all from odd bits and
pieces at very low cost--under $800.  It has a 40 HP Isuzu diesel
($250), 1/2 yd mixer body ($300),  6" cavity (Moineau design) pump
($77), hydraulic pump and motor ($75) and misc controls.  After I've
proved the design, I'll set up a WEB page and show some pics. I've also
submitted a USDA SBIR Proposal to fund further development of the
process and provide the necessary data on the final product. Earth will
be the primary base material for thermal mass, however I haven't decided
on the insulation componet--especially after my unintended flame test
with FC. If successful, the project should be funded by May 1999. Dr.
Walter Gerstle at UMN has agreed to support the project and feels that
it has significant merit. It's also being backed by Heather Wilson our
Congresswoman who wrote a very strong letter of support for the
proposal.

Paul