If only we could Cob.

Patrick Newberry goshawk at gnat.net
Tue Oct 20 12:21:51 CDT 1998

Well, I wouldn't feel too sorry for me. I mean as odd as it sounds, I actually
prefer to build alone. I of course take all volunteers, but having a group of
people working on the house is more productive in terms of getting more work
done but it's more stressfull on the fellow whom is organizing and keeping
everyone on track.

I've some wonderful days all by myself playing in the mud. I feel much more
creative and peacefull. Plus there is more beer for me at the end of the day!

We're cobbing in Georgia, Middle GA to be exact. I've put most of my cobbing on
hold and am pushing on finishing the roof of my dome first.

For the Foundation, I used earth bags filled with stabalized earth. That is our
sandy soil mixed with cement. The thickness is determined by the thickness of
the bags. I drove some old nails and such into the stablized bags when I start
the cob. Also, I coat the bag (still stablized) that is about 6 or so inches
above the ground with asphalt emulsion, then lay another stablized bag on top
of that. This is to help keep moisture out of the cob wall.

The reason for the push for the roof is that winter is our wet season. If I
lived in a dryer climate I'd just sit the roof on the cob wall. I do have some
section where the roof sits on a wall built from earth and bags only.

Well, speaking of working, I need to get down the hill and get some work done.

Patrick Newberry
http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk

> Where are you cobbing at, Pat?  I would come help just to get some hands-on
> training.  We live in East Texas and are really interested in Cob.
> Can anyone tell us about the foundation and what do you make it out of.  How
> do you go about figuring out how thick it should be?
> Sorry about your luck, Pat.  I wish I could help you out.
>

> Nathan Henderson
> shipnate at aol.com

"There is No Hope, but I may be wrong."