Cob mixer

Otherfish at aol.com Otherfish at aol.com
Wed Oct 21 00:29:07 CDT 1998

to Ian Marcuse
Ian
we are using a small contractors type concrete mixer
about a 15 gallon dry component mix capacity
-electric powered
it could be a bigger mixer, however this size mix works well for stomping the
straw in by foot on a tarp
-we've tried straw stomp'in of bigger mixes on the tarp but it actually takes
longer to mix the straw into one big mix than it does two smaller mixes.
- this small mixer can keep up with two 2 person foot stomp'in teams

we're using a bucket of adout 2.5 gallons to measure
with the mixer running
put in the measured water first
then the earth
& then the sand - toss the sand in by smaller partial tosses from the bucket
to spread it out into the earth & water already mixing - this helps prevent
big lumps of un mixed material & speeds up the process
the whole thing takes just a few minutes

dump into a wheelbarrow
take it to the tarp
stomp in the straw
& cob