Cob Clay, Fibers, & FC

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Wed Oct 21 03:29:20 CDT 1998

On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Bob Bolles wrote:

[snip]
> It would be interesting to know if anyone is using, or has used  light clay
> mixes for their cob-style construction.
>
> As a point of clarification regarding how I use the term, adobe-style
> blocks with no fibers would be heavy-clay, and the addition of any sort of
> fiber (or lighter material) produces light-clay.  We have used wood chips,
[snip]

Under this definition cob would be considered "light-clay" (straw being
the fiber).  I could be mistaken, but in my experience "light-clay" refers
to a specific technique also known as lietchlem (spelling?) in which straw
is given a very thin coating of clay slip, allowed to dry until tacky, and
then rammed into a form.

Shannon C. Dealy
dealy at deatech.com