Cob RE: jar test for soil

John Straube jfstraube at golden.net
Thu Oct 22 12:03:27 CDT 1998

I certainly dont think the jar test is useless.  Many people havent a clue
about their soil, and the jar test is very useful to tell someone what the
fine content of a soil is.  Sure, an expert can take a look at the soil on
a property and quickly decide how to mix them and what to add.  Us laymen
must rely on some simple rules, and simple tests, like the jar test, before
we invest the time and effort in the ultimate test -- samples.

On Tuesday, October 20, 1998 3:58 PM, uwe [SMTP:uweb at megalink.net.mx]
wrote:
> wow, that was a very thorough explication! Well, I already suspected that
the jar test wasn't very precise, but as now both of you (and perhaps
others, who's posts I haven't seen so far) say that it is plainly useless,
I'll better believe that. Probably it's only merit is that it could be used
as a starting point, when you have absolutely no idea about the composition
of the soil. The jar test could tell you aproximately how to begin; but
that seems to be about all. Thanks alot!

John Straube
Building Engineering Group	Building Envelope Engineering
University of Waterloo	165 Albert St
Waterloo, Ont.		Waterloo, Ont.
Canada N2L 3G1		Canada N2L 3T2
Phone: 519 888 4567 X2378	519 741 7920