Cob Burlap-Cement Roofing

HandyM2 at aol.com HandyM2 at aol.com
Wed Oct 28 23:52:57 CST 1998

Was Cob Cover or Temporary Roof.

<< I dipped some old burlap bags in a cement solution which I then draped over
the top of the bond beam sitting on top of my earth wall. I've been walking on
it and sprayed a hose over it once just to see how it would far in a rain. Not
too bad.  >>

Hello Pat, I suspect if you coated those Burlap Bags with at least 1/4" (or
about 4mm for you non americans <G>) of good portland cement then you have
created a quite solid and nearly forever roof.  Quite easy to repair also.  In
Belise and points further south I have seen many such roofs.

Only issue is insulation, but then again I suspect you can put insulation on
the underside of that roofing as well as any other type.  <G>

Enjoy the roof, I look forward to reports as how it survives the Rainy GA
Winter!

Michael

BTW Did you happen to install a Rainwater Cistern for your household yet?
Better water than I can get out of my well in SC....