Cob cob oven

Patrick Newberry goshawk at gnat.net
Thu Oct 29 03:16:37 CST 1998

This is from memory, so ...

To make a cob over,
One first build a mound of sand the size and shape of the inside of the oven.
Next one puts a layer of cob without straw over this
(use a form for the doorway)
Next add a second layer of cob with straw over this
I think the first layer needs to be at least 6 inches plus thick.
the second might not need to be as thick. Still mass is good.
When all this dries, pull the form for the door.
and scrape out the sand inside.
I'd put in a small fire at first as one should "Fire" the oven slowly at first.
Then to bake bread, one builds a good fire in side for a couple of hours.
pull the fire out and put in you bread or what ever else you plan on baking.
the heat radiates from the mass of the oven for several hours.

There is a booklet on this, but I lost mine, or loaned it out and can't find
it.

Hope this helps.

Pat

> some days ago somebody watered my mouth, mentioning the cob oven.
As a former German, bread is almost a sacred food for me, so I would like to
have my own cob oven and some recipes for "real" bread (>
> Uwe

"There is No Hope, but I may be wrong."