Cob Re: cob oven for bread

Michael Saunby mike at Chook.Demon.Co.UK
Thu Oct 29 07:55:01 CST 1998

On 29 October 1998 12:35, John Hall [SMTP:hallsoi at netvigator.com] wrote:

> I do not know of a cob bread oven in cobland (Devon).  Even in cob
> houses, the bread oven (lining at least) is made of brick, even if this
> is the only brick in the whole building.  This may be because they were
> added "later", but I strongly suspect that cob is not a practical oven
> construction material.  It will crack to hell. I think the idea (for an
> oven that is to last) is silly.

I'd say have a go.  Sure in Devon you won't find a cob bread oven, perhaps
there never were any, or perhaps it was tried, failed and other things
tried instead.  But cob houses in Devon are of the order of 300 years old,
the fireplaces were in daily use in many of them until about 60 years ago
(a time at which there was no new cob building), all were repaired as
needed, and most improved to include the latest innovations, e.g. bread
oven, raised hearth, etc.  I even saw a picture somewhere of a spit that
was turned by a dog in a wheel (like a hamster), saves taking it for a walk
on cold evenings I guess.

>From the brickwork, I'd guess that bread ovens in many of Devon's cob
houses were last replaced late in the last century or early this century,
and they're full of cracks, so would probably need repairing if you wanted
to use them regularly.  These ovens are preformed from what looks like a
lime based cement, and I understand manufactured and sold in quantity.
 Let's be honest, the builders of the houses didn't intend that they would
last 300 years or more, the bread ovens were probably only really good for
20 years or so, some more, some less.

Surely most of the ovens in African and Indian rural areas are made from
earth.  They may not last for a very long time, but given that it would
only take a few buckets of water and a day or so to rebuild what's the
problem?

> Incidentally, I don't think a chimney is necessary on a conventional
> "beehive" type bread oven.  Just leave the door open whilst you're
> heating the thing up, then pull the fire out before you shove in the
> dough, and then close the door.

That's the way a traditional British bread oven works.  What about pizza
ovens, do they have a chimney?

> Only trying to be helpful,
>
> John.

Michael Saunby