Cob and basements

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Mon Nov 9 03:01:05 CST 1998

On Sat, 7 Nov 1998 Keftydia at aol.com wrote:

[snip]
> Cob requires a foundation to bring it about 24 inches (61 cm) above grade
> (guys...please correct me if I'm wrong) to prevent moisture wicking up from
> the ground and causing structural decay.  The consensus is that cob walls need
[snip]

Actually, depending on your foundation system, a few inches may be more
than enough to prevent moisture wicking.  The primary reason for going two
(or even three) feet above grade is because when rain or roof run-off hits
the ground it splatters, continually wetting the bottom of the wall.  In
addition, the eaves of the roof provide the bottom of the wall with the
least protection from direct contact with wind driven falling rain.
Standing water due to inadequate drainage may also be a reason for a
taller foundation, but this should really be dealt with before you start
building cob walls.

Shannon C. Dealy
dealy at deatech.com