Cob appropriate climates-Honeycombs

Chuck Learned clearned at bminet.com
Mon Nov 16 20:01:38 CST 1998

Shannon or others,

Regarding this thought you shared:

Personally, if I were in an extremely cold
climate, I would probably build a cob structure, wrap it in straw bale,
then wrap the straw bale with a very thin cob outer wall or very thick cob
plaster, probably a few inches thick

A year or so ago a cob builder in Australia said that she was creating
honey comb like cavities
in her walls and filling with various insulation. So I did an experiment
with this and made a
cold frame with cavities and filled with sawdust. Within a few days it was
quite strong and considering that walls are only around 10" thick thus
making the cavity walls only a few inches
thick, I was pleased with the strength. In a house I would make the cavity
walls several inches thicker.  There is still the thermal leak between the
cavities which I don't know how to rectify.

I am wondering if anyone has heard from this Australian builder (Are you
out there?) or if anyone else can share any experiments or success around
the cavity approach or insulating for the
Northern climes.

Chuck Learned