Cob Land Goodies from the TAX MAN

Paul & Mary Salas chansey at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 29 10:35:51 CST 1998

>From time to time there have been dicussions on the list about the
affordability of land, utilities and all the issues related to building.
In August and September there were numerous discussions about acquiring
land from the various states at deliquent tax sales. There we a few with
positive input, however most people who responded were very negative at
the idea and the process.

UPDATE: I attended the State of New Mexico Deliquent Property Tax Sale
in Otero County yesterday and this is what I purchased---

3  lots	1.5  acres	$750	corner parcel with Power, phone, water
1  lot	 .5  acre	$280	natural spring originates on the site
12 lots 13.2 acres	$350	wooded w/road acccess & utilities
6  lot   3.3 acres	$280	wooded w/road acccess & utilities
18 lots  9.6 acres      $1795	misc individual lots 1/2 ac min with
utilities & access to the golf course

These properties are in the community of Timberon, N.M located 30 miles
south of Cloudcroft, N.M. This is a mountain community with tall pines
at 7500-8100 ft elevation. The elk are as big as horses--nearly ran into
3 different groups in less than 1/2 hr!!!!

My interest is not to build or live in the community---I need vigas &
timbers for the house I will be building next year. I'll try to get as
much of the dead and dying timber to fill my needs first--use the living
only as a last resort.

My point in all of this is that it takes more initiative than money to
own land and to obtain the resources to build with.  One must act when
the opportunity arises---3 lots (1/2 ac or more) were purchased for $10
ea and 31 lots were under $100 ea with several at $30, $40 and $50.

We may well curse the TAX MAN, but when these properties go on the
auction block someone is going to buy them.  Interestingly, this auction
was a "re-issue" meaning that they had been previously offered for sale
at auction and there were no bids/offers at the asking min price at the
first sale. Prices at the first offering were $300 to $1,500.  At the
second offering, the min bid was $10---the state wants to sell them.

Good fortune to those who have a dream to set roots into their own
parcels of land and build their E-ship, cob house, adobe, yurt,
strawbale or just camp and enjoy the quiet of the evening and a view of
the sky that goes on forever.

Paul