Cob Goodies from the TAX MAN

Paul & Mary Salas chansey at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 30 23:25:25 CST 1998

TAX MAN Properties

To all those who have inquired about where to find these properties, I
suggest the following:

1. Contact your local County Assessor or County Treasurer and ask about
Tax Delinquent Property Sales or Tax Lien Sales.

2. Ask who has jurisdiction over the sales.

3.Ask if they have a list of the properties and if they are available on
the web.  This could be a major cost savings as some agencies charge
$1.25 per page. (my last doc purchase was $136.75 in Bernalillo for
Sandoval County, NM---this sale will have 445 properties and will be
auctioned off on Dec 1,2,3).

4. Review the property and if it has structures, be sure to have a title
search or abstract to see what else is owed on it besides the taxes.

New Mexico has a very good state wide listing that is updated each
month. Check it out at
http://www.state.nm.us/tax/ptd/ptd_home.htm

Arizona is a little different than other states. Here is an example of
individual county tax lien notices.  Check the statues for additional
information.  You need to contact the local County Treasurer to get a
list  and then.....(snipped heavily)

The interest rate for these liens is set at 16% simple interest prorated
monthly.
                There is a non-refundable fee for each purchase that
equals 1 months interest, not less than $1 and not more than
                $10.
                Your collateral for the lien is the property, if the
property is poor so is your lien. We advise you to look at the property,

           Contact our Navajo County office to confirm amounts before
sending any money.
           (520) 524-4172

http://www.co.navajo.az.us/treasurer/lienpurchase-notice.html

I'm not a real estate agent nor an attorney--- I don't know what will
work for each western state. Follow the steps above and it will at least
get you started.

For those who have inquired as to what I intend to do with the property,
I need to get my timber first, then my wife gets first pick of the
litter (purpose not defined) and then we'll have another fire sale for
those interested. Will consider donation to non-profit, retreat work
shop settings or the like--I'm open to any number of suggestions.

Paul