Cob Re: Temporary roof: ideas needed.

Christopher Witmer cdwitmer at inv.co.jp
Sun Nov 29 04:04:02 CST 1998

Mike Carter and Carol Cannon wrote:

> Is there
> anything that is somewhat flexible and shingle-like and does not require
> underlayment?

How about paper milk cartons cut to lay flat? The heavy paper is of extremely
high quality and coated on both sides with a thin film of polyethylene which
makes it waterproof, at least until sunlight eventually breaks it down. A great
deal of overlap might be required. Maybe you would even want to tar over it,
maybe not. And perhaps you could just thatch right over them when you finally
get around to that. If you put the inside out, the roof would be pure white and
would reflect a lot of the sunlight -- perhaps a plus where you live.

This comes to mind because where I live (Japan) people recycle these into toilet
paper and in no time I can collect thousands of such cartons all washed, cut and
bundled from the recycling bins in front of supermarkets or from the centers
where they are consolidated before being shipped off for reprocessing into
toilet paper.

-- Chris Witmer