Cob Red Georgia Clay

Solar Girl solargrl at gte.net
Thu Dec 3 20:31:35 CST 1998

Hello cobbers, I'm thinking of "defecting" from the idea of strawbale to
the concept of cob -- in part because I live in Florida, where there are
few grain crops and sb is $7-11 per bale.  I have 3 questions.

1.    I have access to red clay from Georgia (Florida soil is awfully
sandy &/or silty), and I wondered if anyone knows of any pros or cons to
using Georgia clay (a pro might be that the house would be a ready-made
warm red tone). I have not yet gotten my cob books, but I'm wondering if
there are any particular properties of clay that make it good or bad?
Or is any old clay okay?

2.    My next question is if cob has been successfully used in warm,
humid subtropics with a definite rainy season.  I noticed in the
archives there were several Floridans who have taken cob workshops.  Are
any of you still on the list? Have any of you built?

3.    Last and not least, does the straw need to be straw?  Could it be
dried grass clippings, weeds, spanish moss or hay?

Thanks for putting up with silly questions from newbies like me who
don't know any better.

Bonnie