Cob building permits / Structural studies of cob

Bruno Kamps bruin98 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 4 11:41:18 CST 1998

Hello to fellow cob enthusiasts,                                        Dec.
3, 1998

    I have recently built a cob cottage in the city of Eugene without
permits and the building
exceeds the 120 square foot rules.  The city has given me a deadline of Jan.
15 the come up with
a plan of action.  They say I have three option 1. tear it down. 2. make the
building 120 feet square
(which is interesting considering its a round building) 3. submit an
Alternate Materials & Methods
 Approval Application in which I have to list substantiating evidence
(research reports, test results, scientific studies etc.) that proves claims
of, or supports the proposed alternate.  These
tests need to be performed by a third party.  January 15 is obviously not
enough time to do all the
specific tests and these tests would not extend even to the neighbors yard
as they would have to
perform the same tests because of the variability of the material.
     To get cob accepted on a larger level  I think we need to go to the
legislators.  Mobil homes do not meet the structural requirements of other
homes but yet they are permissible.  Why?  They
have lobbying groups in Salem and lots of monetary support.
     Is there somebody out there who has a wall jack, an engineering degree,
a mind for the future
sustainability of planet earth, who would like to come here  (635 W. 27th
Place , Eugene) and do
some demolition tests.  Maybe this evidence exists.  Is there energy out
there to get a ballot
initiative on cob accepted.  As I see it cob has been around much longer
than modern building techniques and materials and so if we are basing our
concepts on longevity is it really an
alternate material.  Clear cuts are an alternate without a future.  There is
opportunity here
to make cob a widely acceptable  material.