Cob 2 x 4 I beams

Patrick Newberry goshawk at gnat.net
Tue Dec 22 01:45:19 CST 1998

I'm working on a very odd shaped roof at the moment and had an idea I figured
I'd float out on the list.  I probably should be singing Christmas carol's or
something instead, but hey!

Ok, here it is:

My roof is a masonary roof, thus it has a bit more weight than a
wood / shingle roof. Anyway, I was thinking of building I beams with 2 x 4's.
What this would accomplish is that the masonary roof would sit on top of the
wooden I beams and at a later point I can build some type of panel which would
sit in the bottom portion of the I beam. The panel could be of a material which
would provide some insulation as well as the fact that the cavity between the
masonary roof and the ceiling could be used to hold more insulation if
required. Sort of a dropped ceiling. In my idea, I have the "I beams" sitting
on poles made from locally harvested trees.  By masonary roof, I mean multiple
layers of chicken wire and cement.

Thoughts that come to mind:
1: Are  the three 2x4's per "beam" an over kill. (spans will from 12 to 16
feet) But they can be built from used lumber and pieced together so I can span
the 16 feet with 8 ft length lumber.

2. Has anyone done anything similiar

3. They would be easier for one person to work with as they sit in place.

4. What distance could one span with a 2x4 "I beam".

Other thoughts?

Well happy holidays to everyone from Mauk Georgia.
Tote that bale, mix that cob, pound that tire.
Go alternative Builders!
Pat.
http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk