Cob RE: Different types of heating.

Michael Saunby mike at Chook.Demon.Co.UK
Sat Dec 26 14:30:13 CST 1998

On 26 December 1998 19:54, Mike Carter and Carol Cannon
[SMTP:cobcrew at sprynet.com] wrote:
> A greenhouse (glasshouse) achieves temperatures way in excess of its
> surroundings with no heating so this idea of a building with high thermal
> mass achieving the mean of it's surroundings is surely untrue - it might
>
> How can you prove anything about high mass buildings by using a
greenhouse
> as an example?

It wasn't meant to prove anything other than to point out that a building
with no heating other than solar radiation does not always have (ever
have?) the same mean temperature of its surroundings; there are other
factors at play.  It could be warmer on average like a greenhouse or even
cooler.

> In our cooling climate, our building (130 tons of mass)
> really does even out the temperatures.  This is achieved through
techniques
> that minimize solar gain except through the walls.  The windows are kept
> shaded, in general, if they face South or West.  The window area is 6% or
so
> of wall area instead of the customary 11% or more.  Ventilation adds to
the
> stability of temperature.  Remember also that at night there is
compensating
> radiation out the window glass, and the closer you are to the equator,
the
> longer the summer nights are.
>
> I agree totally with your other points on insulation.  The very well
> insulated strawbale houses here have mechanical HVAC because of the
points
> you raise - once the interior gets hot (through solar gain through
windows,
> for example), there is no way to cool it down except mechanically BECAUSE
of
> the good insulation.  Whereas the conductance of our cob walls prevents
the
> heating of the interior air much beyond the wall temperature.  The walls
in
> fact "set" the air temperature.

I think it's fair to say that these (modern) days, it's easy and cheap to
provide insulation, heating is rather more expensive (thanks to taxes, the
need for large corporations to both generate profit and grow, etc) but
comfort is not something that is determined purely by temperature and many
aspects of a building determine how comfortable it is. e.g. quality of
light, sound proofing, ventilation, colours, textures, smells.....  Earth
has many qualities, though it's true that insulation isn't one of its
better ones.

> Thermal mass works.  People have known this for thousands of years.  It
will
> even out the diurnal temperature swings.  If the exterior temperature is
> always cold, then you are going to want to make your walls thicker and
add
> some "outsulation" to increase the efficiency of your supplemental heat
> source.  South and West windows that you cover at night won't hurt,
either.

I agree.

> Mike Carter & Carol Cannon
> cobcrew at sprynet.com