Cob Re: Timber framing, was 2 x 4 I beams

Patrick Newberry goshawk at gnat.net
Tue Dec 29 03:13:46 CST 1998

I wanted to thank everone for  all the wonderful responses concerning the 2x4 I
beams.

I've pretty much rejected the 2x4 I beam idea and have arrived at this point.

I checked out the homade trusses made with 5/8 plywood and 2x4's that is
decsribed in Reynold's earthship III book. I was receptive to this idea,

but there is still a nagging feeling that I'd like to use the natural timber
I have on the land. I'm on 150 arces of timber, mostly scrub oak but a lot of
pine and a few hicory and persimmion trees.

I've been mainly building with earth, so I've made a small foot print so far.
I have a budget of about $150 a week for building, so I started to figure:
If I build the trusses, the cost per 16 feet per Reynolds design, would be
1 sheet of 5/8 plywood (?) $10
6- 8ft 2x4'(@$2.50 each)   $15
total sans nails glue etc is $25 per truss. or I could build about 5 trusses
per week(including the glue,nails etc) and keep within my budget.

Now I figure I can cut and peal  a 12 to 16 foot viga in about 1 hour...
Well you can see where this is going, I'm thinking from a cost standpoint,
and based on the fact that I am blessed with having access to free timber,
it appears that this may be the way to go.(but then I'm always open to other
suggestions) I'd probably need more vigas than trusses due to the trusses
strength being greater than my vigas. I don't get too large of logs due to not
being able to move them when they exceed a certain size.

McHenry in Adobe build it yourself quotes a 8 inch vigas has a maximum span of
about 16 feet. I find the 8 inch size is about the largest  size I can handle
by hand. Of course the distance between the vigas is a factor too! (that is
place closer)

I've not done any timber (roof) framing before, so I'm sending off for the book
MoosePrints : holistic home building by Robert Laporte. It has some timber
framing in it, but does anyone have any other recommendations in this area. I
see a book called "Build a classic Timber framed house" by Jack Sobon. In
any case (of the roof), the walls will be infill   made from straw and
clay, so any framing will be within that context.

Well enough,
Happy New Year to everyone!
Pat
http:www.gnat.net/~goshawk