Cob RE: evaluating road gravel slab

John Straube jfstraube at golden.net
Sun Jan 31 14:13:27 CST 1999

On Saturday, January 30, 1999 11:34 PM, Keith Breuker
[SMTP:flyfisherkb at centuryinter.net] wrote:
> I'm looking for three or four temperature sensors that I could bury at

> Does anyone have knowledge of such things that could make a
> recomendation?  I don't want to spend much if it can be avoided.

I would recommend a precison 10k ohm thermistor.  These can be measured
with a standard multimeter and sensor leads made of normal light gauge
telephone wire work fine. Such thermistors can be pruchased for a couple of
dollars at an electronics supply house.
The tough part is to plot the curve of resistance vs temperature.  If you
buy expensive ones, this curve is provided.  If you buy cheap ones, you
make the curve by measuring the resistance at, say, 0 (in ice bath), 10 C,
20 C etc.  You can decide yourself how much time vs how much money you wish
to invest.
Use shrinkwrap tubing around all your underground connections to avoid
corrosion.

John Straube
Building Envelope Engineering 	Building Engineering Group
165 Albert St			University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ont.			Waterloo, Ont.
Canada N2L 3T2			Canada N2L 3G1
Phone: 519 741 7920 		519 888 4567