Cob Gustave Stickly walls

John Stephenson john_tanja at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 23 10:03:27 CST 1999

For some time I have been seeing emails on this list from novice
builders asking about the insulation values of cob, and seeing the more
experienced cobbers responding that cob doesn't insulate but instead has
thermal mass.  I believe that there is a way to have insulation built
into cob walls.
	About 1912, Gustav Stickley wrote an essay on economical concrete
construction.  What Mr. Stickley noted was that he was not satisfied
with the way monolithic concrete walls held cold and moisture, and the
resulting effect those two elements had on interior decorations i.e.
paint and wall paper.  What Mr. Stickley suggested was introducing an
insulative air gap in the wall separating the inside from the outside
walls.  He realized that the common way of doing this required expensive
forms and created thinner weaker walls so he devised a method to
eliminate these two issues.   A more detailed description of this
process can be found in the book "More Craftsman Homes" printed by Dover
ISBN: 0-486-24252-8.
	 What Mr. Stickley proposes is the use of wooden forms that can be
constructed on site by the builder.  Each form consists of matched
sheathing boards 7/8" thick (boards used for the exterior covering of
houses that have a tongue and grove edge) and 5.5" wide.  Three of these
are fitted together to make each side of the form, this will create a
16.5" high form allowing you to create your wall in approx. 16" lifts.
The three boards are fastened together at 24" intervals with vertical
wooden cleats.  The insulating air space is created by a third set of
wooden forms.  This form is made from the same sheathing boards the
others are made from, however this third set stays in the wall.  Mr.
Stickley devised a metal reinforcing tie that is held in place by the
center form while the wall is poured/packed.  Once the wall is dry the
ties bind the inner and outer walls together strengthening them.

Prior to fitting the three parts of the form together the center boards
need to be soaked in water over night in order to have them swell as
much as possible.  After the wall is constructed the center board will
eventually dry out and shrink leaving an insulating air gap between the
inner and outer walls.

This is only a cursory description of the process and probably confusing
so I recommend finding the original essay and studying it since it has
many illustrations to help visualize the process.  Also note that this
process was also intended for concrete walls I am not sure if it will
work the same with cob, but I can not imagine why it wouldn't.

Your comments on this are welcome.

John