Construction Loans for Cob

artist at canada.com artist at canada.com
Tue Feb 23 23:04:55 CST 1999

Can anyone offer a thumbnail of their (successful) application process
to a bank for a construction loan on a cob structure just outside an
urban centre?
We're located here in British Columbia, Canada, and would seek to build
on some acreage within an hour of Vancouver.

1. Are there any banks who would make a "package" loan on a
land/cob-house combination for purpose of principal residence, or does
the land always have to be purchased for cash first?

2. Given our present inexperience as cob-builders (we would have yet to
take some course(s) on cob-building), are there any sources where we
could obtain the sort of building plans that a bank would typically
accept as adequate for lending purposes?

- Peter Sugden