Cob sealing earth

Keith Breuker flyfisherkb at centuryinter.net
Sat Mar 6 23:41:41 CST 1999

Several people asked me about the details on Enviro Loc for adobe which
I used to seal the exterior of my earthen plastered straw bale home in
Northern Michigan.

Enviro Loc is a proprietary product made by Global Kinetics, Inc.  1951
W. Camelback Rd. Suite 220, Phoenix, AZ 85015 USA.  office (602)
433-0479  fax (602) 433-0614  e-mail <GK.GAT at worldnet.att.net>

The MSDS states that there are no hazardous ingredients. It is a mineral
spirit based material at 95% mineral spirits and 5% proprietary
ingredients.  The MSDS recomends the use of a respirator when applying
the product.  I used one but found it to be a low odor material.

The manufacturer claims that it is extermely vapor permeable and
completely water proof when applied properly.  I can attest to the water
proof part for the six months that it has been applied to my house in
Northern Michigan.  The manufactrer claims that this material has been
in use for seven years and has not needed a reapplication yet.  They
have other products of similar chemistry for concrete that have been in
place for 15 years without the need for recoating, they claim.

I had a problem with the material turning whitish where the application
overlapped or dripped.  It is advertised as being colorless.  The rep
has promised compensation, though I have not recieved it yet.

The adobe product costs $60/gallon.  I used five gallons for my 820
square foor earthen plastered SB house.

I will know more soon as I installed moisture sensors in the walls and
will be getting a meter to read them next week.

This product was reccommended to me by Bill Steen of the Canelo
Project.  He has used it on some test projects in Arizona and is happy
with it.

Feel free to post any further questions or contact me directly.

Keith